GLAM-WIKI 2015/Proposals/Expedition Wikipedia
This is an accepted submission for GLAM-WIKI 2015.
- Submission no. GW15.1045
- Title of the submission
- Expedition Wikipedia
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Esther Boeles, Frank Meijer
- Country of origin
- Dutch Foundation for Academic Heritage
- Personal homepage or blog
- Twitter username
- Facebook url
What happens when a community of academic heritage professionals adopts the Wikipedia way? How many critics have to be won over, what were the expectations, and what are the outcomes now that the project is completed? What did the universities get out of it? Would they do it again?
- Detailed proposal
In 2011 the Dutch Foundation for Academic Heritage sought new ways to increase the online visibility of its members heritage collections. Inspired by their partner the Tropenmuseum, they chose The Wikipedia Way: To use Wikipedia and Wikimedia commons as a platform for the distribution of their knowledge, to donate images of their collections and to appoint a Wikipedian in Residence. For this organisation, and most of its members, this approach was new, experimental and controversial. It took several years to discuss and plan this idea, and to find funds. But in 2014 it all came through and project Expedition Wikipedia was launched. This spring the project ends and we are ready to evaluate.
In this presentation we will present our evaluation. We will especially look at the assumptions and expectations of the partners, as described in the project plan: how realistic were they? Did we reach our targets? And what outcomes were unexpected?
At the end of our presentation we hope to answer the most important question: would we do it again?
- Project Expedition Wikipedia (Dutch) (English)
- The Dutch Foundation for Academic Heritage is a cooperation of ten Dutch universities. University collections contain all types of GLAM-material, on a wide range of subjects, usually kept in a museum, the library or at the university departments.
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes including discussion
- Target audience
- intermediate, advanced level
- Expected outcomes
- Will you attend GLAM-WIKI 2015 if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).