GLAM-WIKI 2015/Proposals/Med-GLAM: Illustrating Wikipedia with pathology images
This is an accepted submission for GLAM-WIKI 2015.
- Submission no. GW15.1014
- Title of the submission
- Med-GLAM: Illustrating Wikipedia with pathology images
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Prof. Aravindan K.P (HoD of Pathology, Calicut Medical College), Dr. Netha Hussain (Wikimedian-in-Residence)
- Country of origin
- Calicut Medical College, Wikimedia India
In this session, we will present about how we re-defined the 'L' in 'GLAM' to include laboratories within its scope. The Department of Pathology, Calicut Medical College collaborated with the Centre for Internet and Society, a Wikimedia affiliate to share its unique collection of pathology images. Based on this experience, we will outline the details about building collaborations with a medical school, executing GLAM projects in a laboratory, categorizing medical images on Commons and illustrating them on medical articles.
- Detailed proposal
The Department of Pathology, Calicut Medical College is committed to sharing the sum of its medical knowledge online. The department collaborated with a Wikimedia affiliate to share its unique collection of pathology images at zero cost. Based on this experience, we will outline the details about building collaborations with a medical school, executing GLAM projects in a laboratory, categorizing medical images on Commons and illustrating them on medical articles.
The Department of Pathology has rare gross anatomical and microscopic images, which are now on Wikimedia Commons. These images are now being used to illustrate pathology articles on Wikipedia. A gallery of images, sorted according to the medical school curriculum, is being maintained as a reference material for medical students.
The goals of Med-GLAM project are to:
- Create a repository of free images for use for researches and textbooks
- Make available free, annotated images for teaching medical students by creating a gallery of selected images
- Facilitate interaction between pathologists and medical students
- Facilitate easy image search using categories, keywords and tags
- Initiate discussions about rare case scenarios in pathology with experts around the world using talk pages
Our grand vision is to create free culture around pathology. Existing collections of pathology images and atlases are rare and expensive. Preparing pathology slides, taking micrographs, and annotating images need sophisticated equipment and great expertise. The Med-GLAM project is the sum of hardwork of several pathologists, lab technicians, doctors and Wikimedians. We will talk about how we could deliver this otherwise expensive project at ZERO cost.
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Target audience
- Expected outcomes
The session aims at giving the audience a clear idea about executing a GLAM project in a medical school, working around copyright issues and sorting images according to medical school syllabus. We will gather feedback from the audience on scope for expansion of this project to other countries via collaboration among pathologists all over the world.
- Will you attend GLAM-WIKI 2015 if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes, depending on scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).