GLAM-WIKI 2015/Proposals/Training GLAMs
This is an accepted submission for GLAM-WIKI 2015.
- Submission no. GW15.1046
- Title of the submission
- Training GLAMs
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Sebastiaan ter Burg
- Country of origin
- The Netherlands
- Personal homepage or blog
- Twitter username
- Facebook url
- Volunteers sometimes enounter limitations to keep up with the amount GLAMs dthat want to cooperate and/or the amount of work that is involved in cooperation. Training GLAMs can be a solution, but the effect of these activities are harder to measure.
- Detailed proposal
The growing interest of GLAMs to cooperate faces volunteers, user groups and chapters with new challenges. In some countries the interest outgrows the availability of (skilled) volunteers and/or staff.
Chapters have been focussing on (trying to) attract and recruiting new volunteers to contribute to the Wikimedia projects. Unfortunately new volunteers mostly lack the skills and knowledge needed for mass uploads, organising events, etc. needed for cooperation with GLAMs. Training GLAMs is long term investment and do not lead directly to new available content. It is also hard to proof a direct relation between a course and uploaded content. In this presentation I will present my efforts of training GLAMS in 2014 and want to start a discussion on the (need for) KPI’s for these kind of activities.
Questions for discussion are: - how to determine the advantage and disadvantage of training GLAMs? should development of training material be organised international? how translation, cultural differences and international differences in the sector be handled? what kind of training sessions are needed?
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes to 40 minutes
- Target audience
- Intermediate to advanced
- Expected outcomes
- Learn: Lessons learned in The Netherlands
- Outcomes: answers on questions in detailed proposal
- Will you attend GLAM-WIKI 2015 if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).