presentation for NVBT, 2016-04-14
(some of the links are to pages in Dutch)
for presentation: zoom in a couple of times.
2014: start of the project
some price-winning pictures:
and here are the statistics.
The project in general
From the very first beginning all activities were designed
to increase the quantity and quality of information concerning nature
- on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia-projects (like Wikimedia Commons).
The project has three angles of view:
- species - enhance the quality and quantity of information
- about plants and animals
- areas - id. about nature areas
- history - id. about history of nature study and nature conservation
Activities have had different forms:
- long term projects
- short running activities
- most of the time in cooperation with organisations:
- content donations (text / images)
- aimed at attracting new editors
The project is organised by a (slowly growing) group of volunteers (Wikipedians),
assisted by staff of Wikimedia Nl,
working in close cooperation with WIR(s).
The project has its own workspace(s) in Wikipedia, and on other websites.
Some results until now
In more or less arbitrary order some activities of the project:
- Nozeman / Sepp <- content donation by KB
- National Park Utrecht Hill Ridge <- cooperation to find new editors
- Dragonflies <- content donation
- WIR Naturalis
- Images by Jos Zwarts
- Floron content donation
Nozeman / Sepp - content donation: images
May 2015 the KB (Koninklijke Bibliotheek = Royal Library) donated the scans of all the images of the famous Nederlandsche vogelen (= "Dutch birds" / XVIII/XIX) by Cornelius Nozeman and Christiaan Sepp to Wikimedia Commons
We worked in May and June 2015 on spreading the information on Wikipedia worldwide.
We created directory-pages on “Commons” and started distributing the images over Wikipedia. Until now hundreds of images were used on altogether 52 different (language) wikipedias.
The blackbird takes the lead, with images in 22 different (language) wikipedias.
See the Image uptake stats for details.
National Park Utrechtse Heuvelrug (Utrecht Hill Ridge)
Aim: building long term relations with partner organisations and volunteers
- in the area and surroundings of the National Park.
- in the area and surroundings of the National Park.
(and of course also at enhancing texts and images on Wikipedia.}
The project started in August 2015.
We arranged a course on editing Wikipedia - attended by a few interested volunteers.
None of them has continued working on Wikipedia.
In the meantime we created the Portal Utrecht Hill Ridge on the Dutch Wikipedia,
and some 60 articles were created on different aspects of the National Park and its surroundings.
The project took place in cooperation with:
- the staff of the National Park and
- I.V.N., the Dutch organisation on nature education and sustainability.
The project is still continued.
We are discussing new forms of attracting (and retaining) new editors for Wikipedia on local nature related issues; using for instance information on motivation of "citizen scientists".
Libellen (dragonflies and damselflies) - content donation: text
This was a typical short term project:
“Libellennet” (website) is part of the Vlinderstichting (Dutch Butterfly Conservation).
The text of this website is made available under a CC-BY-SA 3.0 License (Creative Commons)
- in February 2015.
Since then a lot of information from the site is “copy-pasted” into the Dutch Wikipedia,
like for instance w:nl:Coenagrion mercuriale.
In total: information on 60 species has been used (until now). Nearby finished.
WIR = Wikipedian in Residence
has been working in Naturalis Biodiversity Center from May to November 2015.
- content donation
- internal and external information on Wikipedia
Some of the results:
- upload of 1.698 images of plant type specimens of the herbarium
- upload of 136.232 images of songbird specimens
- upload of 111.504 images of mollusc specimens
- etc. etc. -> total nr of images uploaded: 276.482
- total number of articles on Wikipedia with image from this donation viewed (between May 2015 and Feb 2016): 5.014.421, etc.
- writing sessions and training sessions organised for staff of Naturalis.
- project page on Dutch Wikipedia
- page about the project on Wikimedia Commons with links to many images
especially this gallery
Content donation of images by Jos Zwarts
Jos Zwarts is a well known Dutch bird artist.
We started working on distributing them,
and created for instance an overview page on Commons.
Until now some 5% of them are used (a total of 100 links)
on 31 different (language) Wikipedia's.
see the stats.
Next bundle of images on its way, already!
Thijsse-week and follow up
November last year we organized a "Thijsse-week" on Wikipedia.
Part of the "Thijsse-year" (IVN, NM, KNNV, H&T-foundation, Thijsse's Hof)
- Thijsse, the most famous Dutch nature conservationist, was born 150 yrs ago
total number of new articles contributed in that week on nl-wiki: 31
As a part of this activity we had a
- introductory course on editing Wikipedia
- in H&T-library in Hugo de Vries building (adjacent Hortus Amsterdam).
in cooperation with IVN.
Content donation by Floron: text
more or less the same kind of cooperation as with Vlinderstichting / Libellennet, but on a larger scale:
Since then we work on editing the still missing species of Dutch plants on nl-wiki.
For instance on March 19, 2016 <- "Wiki Saturday"
Until now 40 new species are added, like w:nl:Brede_dovenetel.
Some 300 are still to be done. Volunteers needed!
A new WIR at VOFF
Next month a new WIR will start at VOFF
- Birds in the Rijksmuseum
- Nature on Dutch Wikisource
more info on the project (in Dutch) on: